Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Rainy Day Wandering, or, My Introduction to Toulouse

>>
>> Ok this first picture has nothing to do with rain, or Toulouse, but since I forgot to take pictures of almost anything else today, or on my first ever business class plane ride, I will show you a picture of my first G&T of the trip. Served in a real glass, cuz that's what first class is like yo. This wasn't my first drink of the trip, probably more like third, but still.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> So basically yesterday is a long travel blur, we were delayed leaving Calgary and then again in Frankfurt. I will hopefully do a post later on plane travel, complete with some pics (I'll try and remember to take pictures of the pod on the way home), but let me just say that concourse B in the Frankfurt airport is not an exciting place to be for 5 hours, especially if you are trying to stay awake so that you can sleep that night.
>>
>> Got to Toulouse, splurged on a taxi to the hostel. Glad that I did, since my lack of direction plus how tired I was when I got in last night would most likely have left me wandering for who knows how long.
>>
>> This is my dorm room at Le Petite Auberge de Compostelle.
>> My bed is the bottom one in the center. Pure luxury as you can see.
>>
>>
>>
>> My dorm was completely full, as was the hostel. As it was still early (8:30) when I got in, but was exhausted and wanted to kill jet lag by sleeping for a solid 12 or so hours, I immediately put on my sleep mask, earplugs and took a sleeping pill. Until about 11:00, when my dorm mates came back and proceeded to study (found out today they have entrance exams at one of the Uni's here today) until 1:00 or so. Boo sleeping pill for not keeping me sleeping through that.
>>
>> I still managed to sleep in until 8:30, and then headed out. Here is where the rain comes in. I really hadn't planned too much on what to do in Toulouse. My basic plans for today were to wander around the sights that the hostel manager circled on my map for me last night, drink some coffee, and maybe eat some pastries. Big plans. That were somewhat spoiled when the 'slight chance of showers' forecast turned out to mean, its going to rain, a lot, all day. So don't don't leave the hostel in capris and a t-shirt and a laughably small umbrella that you borrowed from your Dad at the last minute.
>>
>> Something I have learned about myself that is not so good for solo travel when you don't have anyone else to rely on is that I hate looking at maps in public. So I basically just sort of wandered around and attempted not to look lost. I had no real plans anyway, so I thought I would test out my sense of direction and just wander where I saw fit. My sense of direction is not good. I managed to wander to the Basilica St. Sernin (sorry, no pictures, it was raining), which was nice, but also, it was raining. After a couple of soggy hours of wandering I ducked into a cafe for a cafe au lait, beer and salad. Which also happen to maybe be the only words I know in French. However, when you order salade, be prepared for this:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I'm calling it the French Fish Salad. Ok maybe salade poisson, since I do know how to say that after years of watching Disney's The Little Mermaid. There was a large amount of small little fish on the salad, perhaps anchovies? And prosciutto. Strange but not bad at the same time. Also the beer was delicious. Although I didn't know how to properly specify DARK beer, but it worked out somehow.
>>
>> Now I am at the hostel; I decided that I needed full pants and perhaps a jacket, before heading back out in the rain. I am going to wander again, possible with somewhat of a direction in mind this time. I will probably make my way to the Canal du Midi this time.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

4 comments:

  1. oh yes, the famous french salads. that happened to me, i recognized the word "poulet" on the salad so i ordered it. turns out it was duck liver salad. imagine how not scrumptious that was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank goodness it was not just me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL salade poisson!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. can't see any of your pics but am SO jealous of your travels right now!

    ReplyDelete